Friday, June 15, 2007

Friday Dead Cat Blogging

When in despair of men's souls, blog the cat.

Except that the cat is dead, and has been dead for some time. It has joined a growing list of things that aren't there anymore. Long before the cat there was a beloved dog. Then there are older friends, relatives, and mentors who disappeared in a short period of time. And children I knew who disappeared into adulthood with shocking suddenness. And of course, True Love.

Like many people I show my respect for these missing things by not replacing them, or replacing them with something different and less valuable. Only I go too far with it. But I prefer my ways to the more popular method of treating the people in your life as possessions and transactions, always on the lookout for a better deal.

The main thing I lost and never replaced was myself. But that was a small loss.